By now I'm sure you heard Joe Biden's upbeat assessment of the first year or so of an Obama-Biden Administration
Because I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? Why is the polling so down? Why is this thing so tough?' We're gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I'm asking you now, I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us."
"There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, 'Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don't know about that decision'," Biden continued. "Because if you think the decision is sound when they're made, which I believe you will when they're made, they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."
So what to make of Biden's untimely truthfulness?
1. They are going to repeat what was probably the most critical deficiency of the Bush Administration. They are going to presume they are right and simply press on whether they properly gain the public's trust for their foreign policy.
Actually one prominent national leader has already compared Obama's foreign policy deficiencies to that of Bush, but her candor has been placed in a blind trust this autumm. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/25/AR2008022502663.html
Obama will never recover politically from this sort of mistake. He will never have the Right and as it is apparent, will promptly lose the Left. And Senator Biden, I know Dick Cheney and you are no Dick Cheney.
2. They are going to break their campaign promises at a blinding pace. At a minimum, it's hard to reconcile one of the architects of the Iraq War with Move On. org. Even the most decent politician is going to leave someone in the dust, and I don't these guys in that high regard.
3. They are probably going to sell out our allies as a consequence of their willingness to do something when " it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right" http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1017129.html
4. They promise "unpopular decisions". Conservatives should recall that previous international crisis have been used as excuses to implement economic and social measurres inimical to liberty that could never be approved otherwise. Think rationing, wage/price controls etc. Watch the same people who attacked FISA and the Patriot Act as violative of the civil liberties of terrorist suspects chill the 1st and 2nd Amendment rights of decent Americans. (Notice, by the way, Obama failed to mention the 2nd Amendment when discussing the Constitution at the debate)
5. At the end of the day, there is nothing Joe Biden is willing to offer America except blind faith in a man manufacturing his own "cult of personality" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Personality_(song) America will get into the soup, Obama and Biden will do something that makes no sense, and we will be told to chill out and wait for things to work out..... Eventually..... Because
Maybe Bruce Springsteen oughta reconsider this support for the Obama-Biden ticket
Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed.
Words, even from a Lefty, to live by.