Submitted by Jon Henke on Fri, 08/29/2008 - 14:29
Assorted thoughts on Repuyblican Vice Presidential nominee, Governor Sarah Palin...
- Lefty bloggers are busy trying to figure out why they dislike Gov. Palin. They know they do. They just need to find some reasons. Anything will do.
- The New Republic has some good background on Alaska politics and what Gov. Palin has done.
- McCain was very lucky in one respect. Had Obama picked a female for his VP, McCain's selection of Gov. Palin would have looked like a "me, too!" gesture. With Biden, though, Gov. Palin provides much better optics - a contrast that, in many respects, favors McCain.
- Libertarians seem reasonably happy with a VP Sarah Palin. The Republican Liberty Caucus says this "shows effort to court libertarian vote." Reason's Hit and Run has a number of relatively positive (or, at least, neutral) posts that seem at least open to the idea of a VP Sarah Palin. David Harsanyi calls her "as libertarian as you can hope for on a major ticket."
- I don't know if I've ever seen a single story that captured so much of the front page of Memeorandum.
- I don't think it was an accident that Gov. Palin emphasized in her speech today that she is "the commander of Alaska's National Guard..."
- I've never thought much of the experience argument. I just don't think experience is much of a predictor for the competence, agenda or priorities of a President. A VP Palin creates some interesting message problems for both McCain and Obama, though.
- Republicans will have difficulty advancing an "inexperienced, unqualified, not ready" argument against Obama.
- Meanwhile, Democrats are already claiming that Gov. Palin is unqualified. But Gov. Palin has been a Governor (executive experience) for only a bit less time than Obama has been a back-bench Senator, and she's already cleaned out a hell of a lot more corruption than Obama has. I'm not sure that's an argument that the Left really wants to win. They may be able to damage the bottom of McCain's ticket, but the collateral damage would be the top of their ticket.